Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Orchids and Malaria... What a Field Trip!

Three macaws -Macaw Mountain Bird Park, Honduras-8c
Citation

Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'm re-reading the second chapter, and as you can tell from my title, some of the students are going on a field trip. They are going to the Black Vine Swamp, which is near the Big Cypress Preserve. Nick has been taking the long way home, so he can chat with Marta, so maybe some of my students were right when they had the idea that Nick likes Marta! After finishing chapter 2 again (I had to re-read a bit more carefully after class today) I'm thinking that my new favorite character might be Nadine, the macaw.

As the students go on the field trip, I am noticing that Graham is constantly raising his hand and getting no attention from the teacher. I also read about some of the things they saw in the swamp that I've never heard of like pond apple trees, strangler figs, wax myrtles, sabal palms, wild coffee, and resurrection ferns. Also, there has been mention of panthers, which might explain the cat on the front of the book, and the title of the book. At the end of chapter three, Mrs. Starch goes back into the swamp to retrieve an asthma inhaler, and we learn that she "...won't be coming out."

As I continue to read, I'm noticing all the interesting career choices of the parents in this story... Prison guards, military, detective for the sheriff's office, etc.  I wonder why the author made these choices?

We got some clues about the mysterious happenings - the "panther" in the video had what might have been a belt, and the dog recovered the inhaler later that night. I think this is all very interesting, and I'm going to be paying close attention for additional clues when I read tomorrow night.


No comments:

Post a Comment